Occupational therapy helps your child have an independent, productive, and satisfying life. All SHBH Occupational Therapists (OTs) are licensed and certified professionals who help children reach their full potential at home, school, play, and in the community. OT works on helping your child with skills and tasks needed for daily living.
We collaborate with you as a parent, as well as with your child’s caregivers, teachers and physicians to develop a holistic, individualized H.E.A.R.T.S Plan for your child.
Occupational therapy involves fun exercises and play activities, including assistance with:
- Fine motor skills such as buttoning a shirt or tying a shoe.
- Sensory integration
- Ability to process various sensory stimuli in order to learn
- Eye-hand coordination
- Ability to coordinate hand movements with what they are seeing.
- Visual perceptual skills such as following a teacher
- Ability to follow notes as the teacher reads them
- Visual motor integration
- Ability to imitate shapes and letters
- Motor planning
- Ability to learn new motor sequences for brushing hair, teeth or other activities of daily living